Below is an outline of the steps, timeline, and process you will need to go through in order to request traffic calming on your street:
1. Contact Public Works Transportation Traffic Calming Division by either phone or email:
- phone: (510) 981-6416
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will be asked to submit a written request form (here) by the last day of the calendar year (December 31). Note that the basic criteria to qualify for traffic calming are listed here. A flow chart outlining this process is available here.
2. (Jan - Feb) of the subsequent year, Public Works Transportation Division staff will begin initial review of request. If investigation moves forward, staff will then define the petition area, and request applicants to collect signatures from residents in that petition area.
4. (March) Applicants must submit signatures collected in defined area
5. (April - June) Traffic surveys are conducted
6. (July) Staff will determine whether the problem is a validated “significant problem” based on data from surveys
7. (August - September) If validated, staff will complete study and identify potential solution.
8. (October - November) Staff will meet with the affected community to select a preferred solution
9. (December) Staff will complete cost estimates and rank the priority of the project
There is an annual budget of $50,000 citywide that will be applied to the top priority project, according to a point system outlined in the full text of the revised Traffic Calming Policy.
For more detailed information, visit the City website here.