August 17, 2016

We've heard concerns from many constituents about the Claremont Hotel Expansion. We wanted to let you know that the City of Oakland has extended the time period for submitting comments about Claremont's Environmental Impact Report to September 6, 2016.

Their press release states, “The City [Oakland] will consider every comment it has received to date. If you have already commented on the NOP, please do not send the same comments again. In addition, when making comments, please keep in mind their purpose, which is to help the City shape the EIR that it will prepare to analyze the environmental impacts of the proposed project. The City will offer future opportunities to comment on the proposed project itself.”

Please click here to read the full memorandum from the Oakland Planning Department. Since the Claremont Hotel exists within the City of Oakland and the Tunnel/Ashby Corridor remains primarily under the purview of CalTRANS, please send your comments to:

Ann Clevenger
City of Oakland, Bureau of Planning
250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza
Suite 2114
Oakland, CA 94612

A Message from Public Works: Cal Students Moving In [Best Practices]

It's the time of year when students move in for the Fall semester. Help us to keep Berkeley green by asking your residents to plan, properly discard unwanted items, and use City services. Failure to schedule a pick-up of abandoned items outside your property can result in an illegal dumping citation costing at least $1000/day.

Ask your new tenants to follow these steps for a smart and sustainable move:

  • Plan ahead: Don't dispose of goods in the trash or on the curb. Learn how to properly dispose unwanted goods and avoid landfills by visiting
  • Use City Services: Arrange extra refuse service or rent short-term dumpsters by calling 510-981-2489 or 311. Need prepaid extra debris bags or bulky waste pickup? Visit
  • Reuse & Recycle: Many local organizations accept furniture, appliances, & clothing. Alameda County Food Bank at accepts donations of canned goods
    • Recycle: Visit for recycling services. Use the City blue bins to recycle cans and bottles. Bundle newspaper and cardboard for recycling.
    • Electronics are considered hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly. The ewaste collective ( picks up anything with a plug

Lori Droste
Berkeley City Councilmember, District 8

Check out my website:

Need a street or sidewalk repair? Want to report illegal dumping? Use Berkeley's online 311 form (either through the General Request form or a specific topic) or call 311 from a landline, or 510-981-2489. Please note that my office routes all the service requests we receive through this customer service center, so your request will be handled most efficiently by directly contacting 311.

Office Hours

Councilmember Droste holds office hours on the first Thursday for every month (next up is September 1st), from 9:30-11am at Cafe Espresso Roma, 2960 College Ave (on the corner of College and Ashby). No appointment necessary - just stop by!  As always, contact the District 8 office if you would like to meet with Lori to discuss a particular item. or 510-981-7181